Sunday, September 18

The Frumpy Country Cousin


Let me start this post by saying: I love my book. My agent and I have spent months reviewing, editing, polishing, and perfecting it, and it really is a thing of beauty--high heals, makeup, designer gown--the works.

However, I am not here to talk about the shiny beautiful manuscript, I am here to talk about her frumpy country cousin, otherwise know as my current work in progress. She's dirty and disheveled, with frizzy hair, chipped nail polish, mismatched shoes--and, dare I say it--needs to loose a few pounds. Basically a hot mess. If you put the two projects next to each other, you can tell they are related; voice, tone and style all being very similar, but that's about all they have in common. They would not be friends or even hang out together. Finished MS would probably steal WIP's boyfriend, throw punch on her hand-me-down dress, and leave her crying alone in the corner. And the worst part is, I would be right there next to Finished MS, laughing and pointing at the frumpy wall flower.

Why would I be joining Finished MS and not punishing her for her horrible behavior? Because, as much as I hate to admit it, I have as big a problem with WIP as she does. I just can't accept the fact that that sloppy mess actually came out of me. I have grown so accustomed to the beauty and shine of Finished MS, that I expect everything I write to be as polished right out of the gate. It's hard to remember that Finished MS used to be as buck-toothed and dumpy as WIP is now. It took me months to clean her up and teach her some manners, and even that wasn't enough. I had to take her to a professional beautician (who moonlights as a literary agent) to get her to where she is now. So naturally, I should know that there is no reason to be upset with WIP, as she just needs a little time.

Like I said... I should know that.

I do know that. But that doesn't mean it isn't hard to remember.

So now if you'll excuse me, I have an Extreme Makeover: Manuscript Edition to get started on.

2 comments:

  1. This was great! Loved it! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I call mine the red headed step-child! LOL!

    Anyone remember what show that was from? SNL maybe?

    Great post!

    ReplyDelete