Thursday, March 17

Cough, cough, sniff...

I am happy to announce  that my revisions are complete and I have sent the new version of the manuscript off to Carly for the next round of edits. Okay, honestly I sent it off the day before yesterday, and since then I have been wallowing in tissues and DayQuil. Bleh...

In other news, I spent yesterday working on a story I and never actually planned to work on. I have had this couple - Alex and Becca, and for a long time now they have been my goto couple. Anytime I was stuck, or frustrated, or needed to get away from whatever it was that I was writing, I would open my Black Iris folder (that's the title of my non-book) and write scenes for Alex and Becca. Sometimes fluffy romantic stuff (who doesn't like a little drek every now and then?), sometimes funny or cute stuff, whatever I was in the mood for. I have a ton of stuff written for them, but they are all just random scenes without any context or nuance. There has always been a vague background story for them in back of my mind but nothing all that concrete. They have always been young adults - her 18ish him 20ish, there has always been a fantasy element - all the main people would be able to do one cool thing but would otherwise be normal, Becca's back story was always tied to her brother and father, and it has always been set in Ireland, but that was pretty much all I knew.

The other night however, while I was lying in bed waiting for my nasal spray to kick in so I could fall asleep, I started thinking about the Becca/Alex story, and out of the blue all these ideas started coming to me. It was really cool. I was able to create back stories that all intertwined and played off the setting, and plot out most of the actual story. My mind almost seemed to be working on it's own! Maybe it was the Nyquil... Anyway, my fear was that I would fall asleep and forget it all, so I had mu husband bring me a pen and I wrote all the major points on the side of my tissue box. The next morning I almost dreaded looking at what I had written, as I was scared that what had last night seemed like amazing ideas would - now in the plan light of day - be total crap. Happily though, it all held up, and I spent the rest of that day outlining my new story. Yay!

I'm really excited about this, because I like to have two books going at once. When I was writing Bibbity, Bobbity, Do-Over, I was also working on planning and drafting my second book, Not Really Cheating. Now that Do-Over is done (at least for the most part), I can work on Not Really Cheating while I plan and draft Black Iris. Having more than one project at a time helps me to not burn out on one particular book. This new combo will be even batter than the last, as they are two different styles/genres - Quirky Women's Fic and YA Romance/Fantasy - while Do-Over and Not Really Cheating are both Quirky Women's Fic.

Anyway, time for another dose of medicine. Bleh. Maybe I'll go back to the Advil Cold/Sinus this time, that seemed to work pretty well...

No comments:

Post a Comment