Thursday, March 17

I caved...

Well, it's official. As of 12:27 yesterday, I crumbled under the weights of peer pressure, marketing trap, and modern technology.

I bought an e-reader.

Those of you who know me are shocked, I know. I have long professed my hatred of the e-reader, and promised never to find myself in possession of one. For those of you who don't know me, let me catch you up... I love books. Now don't confuse that statement with 'I love to read' which is no less true, but not the same thing. I love books, as in the actual objects themselves. I love the paper, the binding, the print, the smell of a library, all of it. Therefore, I assumed I was the sort of person who would never find any pleasure in, or any need for, and e-reader. However over the past several months, I have had to download many of the books I wanted to buy to my computer because they were only available in e-book and not for tangible purchase. These titles were on my laptop and I had no way to read them conveniently. As tyher list of title on my computer grew, my husband began to try to convince me to get a reader, but I held firm, claiming that, as I could read them on my computer, there is no need to spend the money. However after weeks of pestering, Scott finally convinced, citing that he was tired of me taking my laptop to bed with me, as it puts out so much heat that it would hake the bedsheets hot and he would sweat. I'm pretty sure he was exaggerating, but regardless, I now find myself the owner of an e-reader. A Nook Color, actually. And after all my whining and complaining, I have to say...

It's pretty cool.

I now have all my e-books, plus some books i had in PDF format all on my reader which is about a fifth the size of my laptop. My philosophy has always been, 'If you can put a bookmark in it, it's not a book,' (those of you who know me also know that I collect bookmarks and have over 70) but it looks like I'm going to have to get over it. Besides the e-books have e-bookmarks, which I got a little kick out of. :)
By no means will I stop buying real books, as that would truly be blasphemy, but I have now decided to graciously allow e-books into my library as well.They may not be leather bound, bookmark-ready, or smell good, but in the modern world, even I have to admit, they have merit.

No comments:

Post a Comment